Why Ghent, the city of the Mystic Lamb, light and culinary delights?
Ghent breathes history but is also brimming with culture and modern city life. The city’s highlights include the Mystic Lamb, the acclaimed lighting plan which illuminates the buildings in a magical way after sunset, the Light Festival which takes place every three years (the next edition is in 2018), the Ghent Festivities and the largest range of veggie offerings in Europe.
Not yet convinced? Ghent’s history, art, wonderful architecture, water, rock ’n roll top gastronomy and joie de vivre are sure to win you over. The city also makes every effort to ensure that visitors enjoy their stay, including the thousands of students who provide Ghent with a fresh young vibe every academic year. For example, you can discover an alternative side to Ghent with the ‘Sorry, not sorry street art map Gent’ which takes you on a cycling or walking tour of the city’s graffiti.
Not yet convinced? Ghent because…
- … Lonely Planet has called our city “Europe’s best kept secret” and a must see destination for 2011.
- … National Geographic Traveler Magazine has listed this city as the most authentic historic city in the world and full of life.
- … you must witness with your own eyes what Napoleon and the mysterious thief of ‘The Just Judges’ panel already knew: The Mystic Lamb really is key to European art history.
- … the city comes to life again after sunset.
- … the Ghent Festivities, the largest open-air cultural celebration in Europe, is something you will never forget.
- … Ghent is a culinary hotspot and the veggie capital of Europe.
- … you like to get off the beaten track!
- …that’s why!
More info on Ghent and its cultural and gastronomic highlights can be found on www.visit.gent.be.